Sunday, 4 February 2018

Favours for a sleepover

This year my daughter asked for a sleepover to celebrate her 9th birthday with her friends. I decided to make simple cushions with their names in glow in the dark iron on vinyl. They were used for the sleepover and then taken home by each kid. I chose one common fabric and then my daughter told me the favourite colours / style for each kid so I selected the second fabric according to that.
The glow in the dark effect was a nice surprise, when the lights were out at night!

Friday, 1 September 2017

First day of school - Einschulungstag

So now our youngest also took the big step into primary school. Like for her sister I made a dress for her and of course the sugar cone that will later be transformed into a cushion.

The dress is an adapted version of Schnabelina's Kapuzenkleid. I added an insert in the waist and some more flare at the bottom of the skirt.

Since it cooled down the last two days I made a bolero jacket after Minamo to go with her dress. The material, Eve's Apple by Hamburger Liebe, I chose because of the apple tree on her school bag. Since I could not get the non-elastic material anywhere, I used a different apple material for the sugar cone.

Thursday, 30 April 2015

Schultüte - Sugarcone

For the daughter of my friend I made a traditional German treat for the first day at school next September, it's called Schultüte. All kids starting school get one filled with sweets, treats and small gifts. I used the same embroidery files as for my own daughter, but with the different colour scheme it really looks quite different.

Yeli Skirt

Finally I got some time to test a new pattern for Corina from olilu.

The skirt is an easy project and as you can see you can highlight nice fabrics just using a small piece of it. For my unicorn obsessed girls the choice of fabrics was just perfect - and I will still have enough unicorn fabric for a dress or blouse :)

I made size 98/104 for my 102 cm tall youngest and 134/140 for my 129 cm tall girl. I'm quite happy with the fit of both skirts!

Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Unicorn carneval costumes for my girls

This year my older daughter wanted to be a unicorn for carneval. Of course, when the younger one heard that, she wanted to be one, too. So looked on the internet for inspiration and found a great tutorial and as basis I used the free Schnabelina Jawepu pattern.

This is the result:

My youngest combined her unicorn top with last year's fairy dress and wings.

Monday, 1 September 2014

First day of school

Time flies... I can't believe that my daughter is already in the 'big school' now!

For her first day of school I made her a special dress. She picked the fabric herself and I used Ottobre 3/2012 'trumpet flower' as pattern. I'm quite happy with the result (and so is my daughter ;) )

Unicorns are very big with her at the moment, so no big surprise there's a unicorn on her school bag. To create a more uniform look I used an embroidery design from nähwahna (lovely unicorn) and some scraps from the dress material for her "Schultüte".

Her little sister also got her small "Schultüte" refilled - she got it last January, when she started playschool.

Traditionally German kids get a cone like that on their first day of school. It's filled with some goodies, toys, school supplies, sweets etc. and kids take it along to school (first day of school is a much more festive occassion than here in Belgium...). After school the kids can open their "Schultüte" and check out the content. My daughters loved what they got :).

Friday, 4 July 2014

Some summer dresses for me and my girls

I have sewn way more in the meantime, but still lagging behind taking pictures and blogging - the usual ;)

But some of my most recent projects were these Seesaw dresses for my daughters from Ottobre 3/2013

I did topstitch the collar of the smaller dress later on, so the white of the reverse material is not so visible any more.

For myself I made a dress that has been on my list for more than a year now. It's from Burda 2/2013 dress 110 (Batikkleid). Since my previous attempts to sew something from Burda for myself were not super successful, I decided to go cheap on this attempt: The material was only 2,- per meter! I don't expect this dress to last forever, but at least I can wear it this summer.

So this is what it looked like at first: The clevage was quite a mess, as you can see.

So I moved the right shoulder seam about 4 cm inwards (shortening the backpart and the front part 4 cm each), then it looked much better.

The pattern of my cheap material is not exactly flattering for my bust, I think, but I won't whine too much about a dress for 5,-...